What is periodontitis?
Periodontitis is severe gum disease which not only affects the gum itself but also the supporting bone around a tooth. It can often occur as a result of poor oral hygiene, but can occur for unknown reasons in young people (juvenile periodontitis). Risk factors include diabetes, smoking and other generalized diseases. If left untreated, it can result in the loss of the tooth. Poisons produced by bacteria in plaque, together with the body’s immune response to attack, are the major causes. Unlike tooth decay, it usually occurs on all teeth at the same time.
Signs of periodontitis include:
- Redness and swelling of the gum.
- Bad breath.
- Teeth can become loose and fall out.
Common causes & prevention
There are a number of ways to prevent periodontitis, including:
- Limiting refined sugar snacks.
- Brushing your teeth correctly at least 2 a day for 2 minutes each time.
- Flossing once a day.
- Using antibacterial mouthwashes daily.
- Attending your hygienist and dentist for cleaning and checkups.
- If you use tobacco products, seeking help to quit and quitting will reduce your risk of periodontitis.
If you are concerned about periodontitis, get a Toothpic online dental consult now and one of our online dentists will review images of your teeth and share a detailed report on any issues, homecare and next steps you may need.
Connect to an online dentist now in 3 easy steps
STEP 1: Brief assessment
STEP 2: Show the online dentist
STEP 3: Complete Consult
Grow to love hearing 'say cheese!'
Get an online dental consult today