What is oral hygiene?
Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping one’s mouth clean and free of disease and other problems (e.g. bad breath) by regular brushing and cleaning between the teeth. A huge number of dental issues are preventable and can be avoided simply by having a good oral care routine. Cavities, plaque, calculus and much more can be prevented with regular brushing and flossing.
Bad oral hygiene habits
There are many things that we do that are bad habits when it comes to our teeth. They include:
- Brushing less than twice a day.
- Never flossing.
- Drinking red wine or coffee.
- Smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Eating foods high in refined sugar (such as white bread and candy).
- Snacking throughout the day without brushing.
- Brushing too hard.
- Avoiding the dentist altogether.