What is a filling?
Fillings are materials used to replace missing tooth structure, often caused by cavities. There are many different types and each is used for specific reasons. The most common filling materials include, amalgam (silver filling), composite (tooth coloured filling), gold and porcelain.
Your dentist will often recognise that you need a filling before you experience pain, but you may need a filling if you notice you have symptoms such as:
- Sensitivity to hot, cold, and sugary foods.
- Pain when chewing.
- General dental pain.
- Dark spot visible on a tooth.
- Getting food being stuck in certain spots in your mouth.
- Rough, broken, chipped, or fractured tooth.
- Filling that has already fallen out.